install pgSQL from no-installer pkg

От Elim Qiu
Тема install pgSQL from no-installer pkg
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I though it's my windows config (win2k pro English) problem.. anyway I
have trouble install pgSQL 8.2 in the typical way (msi).

The msi will last a while (looks like loading files) and then the UI disappears
before the welcome window. In my task manager, there are 3 msiexec.exe
processes shown with cpu 0%. When I confirmed to kill one of such process,
the welcome window will be shown and I can do the rest of the installation until
I got error about postgres service account. And then the whole installation was
rolled back and canceled.

Tried many times with some different settings. No success.

On the other hand, On my XP of the same machine (dual boot), the
installation went quite well. (So don't blame me of hopelessly dummy
one pgsql:-). So I exported some pgSQL info from XP registry and
imported them into my win2k registry. I got my pgSQL server working in
both OS (win2k and winXP), with shared installation and data.

The only thing was: in win2k, it says (trying to open the property of
the pgsql service in the service manager)

"Configuration Manager: The specified device instance handle does not
correspond to a present device"

I guess this is something from the reg entry and should be fixable.

Anyway. I tend to install the whole thing with no-installer pakage,
expecting the procedure of doing so will make more sense to me and
helpful for the post installation setups.

So my question is:
Whare can I find the instructions of pgSQL no-installer installation?

Thanks a lot