Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add relcreated (timestamp) column to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> writes:
> *I am a bit confused. If this is the correct list for enhancement requests,
> then why is that not explicitly stated in the list description?

In general, any of the major PG lists are suitable places for discussing
enhancements; either here or pgsql-hackers is most common, depending on
how much technical detail is part of the discussion.

> However, Customer Feedback (
> https://postgresql.uservoice.com/forums/21853-general
> <https://postgresql.uservoice.com/forums/21853-general> ) does seem to
> indicate it and give positive results.

I had never heard of postgresql.uservoice.com before this thread, and
I daresay most other community members had not either.  It has NO
standing or influence on our development work.

> That being said, I would like to put
> forth a very simple enhancement request.Add relcreated (timestamp) column
> to pg_class catalog to record the time an object was created.

This has been discussed, and rejected, many times before.  Please consult
the PG list archives to find previous threads about it.  I'll just note
that it *sounds* trivial, until you start thinking about backup/restore/
replication situations, and then you realize that the required semantics
are far from clear.  In practice, audit logs (which is a class of feature
that we are working on) are a far better solution.