vacuum freeze performance, wraparound issues

От Natalie Wenz
Тема vacuum freeze performance, wraparound issues
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I have a few questions related to recovering from a near-miss with transactionid wraparound.

I'm currently running a vacuum freeze in single user mode on our largest database (about 36 TB).  It's been running for
about10 days (since the database shut itself down to avoid xid wraparound). One cpu has been basically running at 100%
thewhole time (except during short periods of write activity when it drops briefly to around 30%). Any idea how to
guesshow long this might take? Is there anything I can adjust to speed the vacuum freeze up? It seems to be CPU
limited--cananyone tell me what it would be doing that is so CPU intensive?

Runs postgres 9.1.9 on FreeBSD 9.1 with ZFS, database was built --with-segsize=10, storage is a pool of 20 2-disk
mirrors
Maintenance_work_mem is set to 10GB; there is about 48 GB of memory in the machine.

The size of our database may be unusual for postgres, but honestly, it has performed quite well for us over the years.
Ourtrouble comes when every once in a while we get a perfect storm that causes the autovacuum to fall behind. We are
generallyvery careful to try to keep this from happening, since all it takes is one query at the wrong time to take a
largedatabase offline for days (or weeks). This is definitely our biggest cause of postgres outages, taking one of our
databasesoffline about once a year, it seems. With the speed postgres is capable of, and the ever-falling prices of
storagemaking larger, faster databases possible, has the possibility of changing the transaction id to a 64-bit (or
even128-bit!) value been considered?

Thanks!
Natalie