Re: gettext calls in pgport

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: gettext calls in pgport
Дата
Re: gettext calls in pgport  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: gettext calls in pgport  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Error codes seem like a lot more work than it is worth.  I vote for
> adding gettext support to /port.  Also adding error codes duplicates all
> the error strings in the call sites.

> Added to open items list:
>     *  Add gettext support to src/port

He who controls the TODO list dictates the solutions, eh?

I tend to agree with Peter, actually: it would be better to pull error
reporting issues out of pgport.  Somebody just yesterday stuck an
"fprintf(stderr,...); exit(1)" into one of the pgport routines.  This
sucks, but there is not a lot else that can be done if the code needs
to exist in both backend and clients.  It'd be better to propagate the
error condition back to the caller.

An alternative possibility is to stop pretending that pgport is agnostic
about whether it is in backend or frontend.  This might mean some
duplication of code between src/port/ and src/backend/port/, but if
that's what it takes to have sane error handling, that's what we should do.