Re: gettext calls in pgport

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: gettext calls in pgport
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Am Montag, 18. Oktober 2004 19:43 schrieb Tom Lane:
> An alternative possibility is to stop pretending that pgport is agnostic
> about whether it is in backend or frontend.  This might mean some
> duplication of code between src/port/ and src/backend/port/, but if
> that's what it takes to have sane error handling, that's what we should do.

The original plan for libpgport was to be a repository of functions that
replace missing operating system functionality, like libiberty.  I would have
have liked to be able to lift these functions into other projects without
complications.  That implies that these functions should certainly not care
about anything that by definition goes on above the operating system level.

Now the directory has grown into a sort of general repository of code that is
shared between more than one part of the PostgreSQL source tree, without any
regard for well-defined interfaces.  If you need to do that, please put it
elsewhere, where only the involved parts see it.  Not now, but in the future.

--
Peter Eisentraut