WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR

От Erik Jones
Тема WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I recently started up a server created using PITR (exact detail
below) and received about 125 of these type of errors spanning pages
in about 10 different tables:

2008-01-17 21:47:34 CST 7598 :WARNING:  relation "table_name" page
5728 is uninitialized --- fixing

Looking in the archives I found this thread: http://
archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-10/msg01538.php.  However,
in that case he wasn't taking the base backup from the primary server
(which I did) and the actual warning was never explained by anybody
as to what it means, does it entail a botched backup?

This backup was made using rsync across co-locations, so before
actually running pg_start_backup and the actual PITR rsync run, we
ran rsync a couple times over a few days to shorten the amount of
time for the main rsync run.  Sometime after the standby was current
we had an issue where a WAL file wasn't successfully archived to the
standby server (even though rsync apparently reported that it was as
seen in the successful archive message in the primary server's log),
so I stopped the standby and re-ran the backup process:
pg_start_backup('standby') -> rsync primary to standby ->
pg_stop_backup() -> start standby in recovery mode.  At that point,
once the standby was again "caught up" with the most recently shipped
WAL file, I brought it out of recovery mode to run a dump.  It was
once it was out of recovery that those warnings appeared.

Is this backup screwed?

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com