can't get connection during pg_dump

От Steve Linabery
Тема can't get connection during pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I'm running 8.1.x on FC2 with smp.

The docs claim that pg_dump should allow normal operation of the db with the exception of things like 'VACUUM FULL'.

Last night during backup, I noticed that I could not get a connection, either remotely via jdbc or locally via psql.
Wellperhaps that is inaccurate: 'ps -ef' showed several processes with a status message of "waiting to startup" (or
somethingsimilar; sorry, I was late-night coding and didn't think to write it down).

My installation has three databases in use. The command used to invoke the dump of one of these databases was:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -Fc -b mydatabasename > /back/mydatabasename.dump

I looked through the docs to see if there was some runtime configuration I was missing, but saw nothing.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
--
Steve Linabery, sysadmin/developer
B94B C3C7 8A27 FF09 3C9D  E992 5A20 2492 D5F5 EE51

This electronic message transmission contains information from the sender's organization that may be proprietary,
confidentialand/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above.
Ifyou are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of
thisinformation is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender
immediatelyby replying to the address listed in the "From:"