Re: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates
Дата
RE: [HACKERS] Some notes on optimizer cost estimates  ("Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> I've wondered why we cound't analyze database without vacuum.
> We couldn't run vacuum light-heartedly because it acquires an
> exclusive lock for the target table.

There is probably no real good reason, except backwards compatibility,
why the ANALYZE function (obtaining pg_statistic data) is part of
VACUUM at all --- it could just as easily be a separate command that
would only use read access on the database.  Bruce is thinking about
restructuring VACUUM, so maybe now is a good time to think about
splitting out the ANALYZE code too.

> In addition,vacuum error occurs with analyze option in most
> cases AFAIK.

Still, with current sources?  What's the error message?  I fixed
a problem with pg_statistic tuples getting too big...