Re: TOAST performance (was Re: [GENERAL] Delete Performance)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: TOAST performance (was Re: [GENERAL] Delete Performance)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> What bothers me about this is that we have the original page with the
> old data.  It would be nice if we could write the new page in a
> different location, make the new page active and recycle the old page at
> some later time.

I don't see how that reduces the total amount of disk traffic?

It's also kind of unclear how to do it without doubling (or worse) the
amount of table space used in many common scenarios.  I doubt many
people will be happy if "DELETE FROM foo" requires transient space equal
to twice the original size of foo.