Re: array/function question

От Joshua Berry
Тема Re: array/function question
Дата
Список pgsql-general

you should use something similar to 'merge sort'
but only if your input is sorted (m_bx expects this)

In my case, order is not guaranteed, and as the result needs to match the order of the input, it seems that using some exhaustive tail recursive method is the way to go. (By that I mean a loop within a loop, testing up to m*n times where m and n are the length of the arrays passed in.

if your subjects (numbers) are not going beyond a certain limit eg(65535)
take up an array and filter

For my application, there will likely be no more than 20 elements in the array, so practical limits are not a problem.

you can generate a poly for array B's roots, and calculate A's points
-where it's 0, then the B array have the value ;)))

writing the function in C is not so easy but it will be fast ;)

Can anyone point me to documentation on the performance differences between plpgsql/plc/plperl/etc? I googled but only found a few offhanded comments from mailing list archives and online message boards. Are there any general guidelines on when it's a good idea to switch to a language other than plsql or plpsql?

Here's my modified version of Nagy's function. This one allows unsorted array elements, ordering the tests by the order of the elements in the first array parameter.
Please forgive the lack of grace. I'd love tips on how to improve this! In particular, is there a better way to find the length of an array without having to piecewise handle the empty array case?

create or replace function m_bx(a integer[],b integer[])
  returns  boolean[]
AS
$BODY$
  declare res boolean[];
  declare i integer;
  declare j integer;
  declare la integer;
  declare lb integer;
begin
  i=1;
  j=1;
  -- array_upper returns NULL if the length of the array is 0, the following hacks provided the desired result for empty array cases
  --  la=array_upper(a,1);
  la = (select CASE WHEN count is null THEN 0 ELSE count END from (select array_upper(a::int[], 1) as count) as foo);
  --  lb=array_upper(b,1);
  lb = (select CASE WHEN count is null THEN 0 ELSE count END from (select array_upper(b::int[], 1) as count) as foo);
  loop
    if i>la then
      exit;
    end if;
    if (j>lb) then
      res[i]=false;
      j=1;
      i=i+1;
    else
      if (a[i] = b[j]) then
        --b contains this element, move to the next
        res[i]=true;
        j=1;
        i=i+1;
      else
        j=j+1;
      end if;
    end if;
  end loop;
  return res;
end;
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' IMMUTABLE
  COST 100;

--Test cases to handle:
select m_bx('{1,2,5,4}','{5, 1, 4}'); --{t,f,t,t}
select m_bx('{1,2,5,4}','{5}'); --{f,f,t,f}
select m_bx('{1,2,5,4}','{}'); --{f,f,f,f}
select m_bx('{}'::int[],'{}'); --{}::bool

Regards,

Joshua Berry

create or replace function m_bx(a integer[],b integer[])
returns boolean[]
as
$BODY$
declare res boolean[];
declare i integer;
declare j integer;
declare la integer;
declare lb integer;
begin
i=1;
j=1;
la=array_upper(a,1);
lb=array_upper(b,1);
loop
if i>la then
exit;
end if;
if (j<=lb and a[i] = b[j]) then
res[i]=true;
else
res[i]=false;
end if;
if(b[j]<a[i]) then
j=j+1;
else
i=i+1;
end if;
end loop;

return res;
end;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' IMMUTABLE
COST 100;

select m_bx('{1,2,4,5}','{1,5,6}');

Joshua Berry wrote:
Hello All,

I'm trying to optimize a few slow queries and helper functions, and have
found a poor performing function. To improve performance, I'd like to
create a function that does the following:

Inputs: