Re: constraint modification on todo list

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: constraint modification on todo list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl> writes:
> -On [20030909 00:42], Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
>> IIRC, Oracle does not have rollback-able DDL.  That might imply that the
>> reason they have MODIFY CONSTRAINT is that in Oracle you can't use the
>> above way to eliminate the window.  Can you put ALTERs inside
>> transactions at all in Oracle?

> As one of the Oracle gurus at work told me:

> DDL does an implicit commit, so no rollback possible.
> It also shouldn't be necessary, because you cannot change a table which
> is in use.
> It attempts to do a table lock and it fails.

Is that their excuse?

We can't ALTER a table that's already in use when the first ALTER
starts, either --- its attempt to exclusive-lock the table will fail.
But once you get the exclusive lock, you can (in Postgres) perform
a series of operations without fear that subsequently-started
transactions will be able to see the incompletely changed state of the
table.  Evidently Oracle can't handle that.  That's why they need to
invent combination operations like MODIFY CONSTRAINT.