Re: operator suggest " interval / interval = numeric"

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: operator suggest " interval / interval = numeric"
Дата
Re: operator suggest " interval / interval = numeric"  ("Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com>)
Re: operator suggest " interval / interval = numeric"  ("Warren Turkal" <wturkal@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Warren Turkal" <wturkal@gmail.com> writes:
> YEAR TO MONTH and DAY TO {HOUR,MINUTE,SECOND} intervals should not
> combine. PostgreSQL correctly doesn't allow {YEAR,MONTH} TO
> {DAY,HOUR,MINUTE,SECOND} intervals,

Really?  I think you've confused some unimplemented decorative syntax
with what the underlying datatype will or won't do.

> This is inconsistent. I would like to ultimately not allow operations
> on interval combinations that are not allowed by the SQL standard.

The spec's approach to datetime operations in general is almost totally
brain-dead, and so you won't find a lot of support around here for hewing
to the straight-and-narrow-spec-compliance approach.  If they have not
even heard of daylight-savings time, how can anyone credit them with any
meaningful contact with the real world?  We'll cite the spec where it
suits us, but in this area "the spec says you can't do that" carries
very little weight.

Or were you planning to lobby for removal of our DST support, too?