Re: Postgres Log rotation not working in 8.0.2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgres Log rotation not working in 8.0.2
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Pallav Kalva <pkalva@deg.cc> writes:
>      Postmaster is using these settings,  SHOW tells me all the settings
> are right as per the postgresql.conf settings. I am checking the log
> rotation after restarting the postmaster, Postgres was restarted last
> monday morning and it generated a new log file postgresql-15.log since
> then and up until now it is still writing to the same file , its been
> over a week and 6 hours now.

"Week and 6 hours"?  Try waiting a bit longer.  The switchover points
are not x-hours-since-postmaster-start, they are designed to be
reasonable integer multiples.  For instance, with rotation set for 24
hours, rotation occurs at local midnight, not whatever time of day
the postmaster was last restarted as.  With a 7-day setting it should
occur at local midnight of days that are a multiple of 7 days since
1-1-1970 ... which is Thursdays I think.

What I suspect happened is that it rotated last Thursday midnight, but
since %U hadn't changed since Monday, it overwrote the same file it was
using before.  Check to see what the oldest entry in the file is ...