Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6/20/19 8:34 AM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> I think even if we provide the per table encryption we can have
> encryption keys per tablepaces. That is, all tables on the same
> tablespace encryption use the same encryption keys but user can
> control encrypted objects per tables.
>
>> Will we add the table-level TDE in the first version?
>
> I hope so but It's under discussion now.

+1

>> And I have two questions.
>> 1. Will we add hooks to support replacing the encryption algorithms?
>> 2. Will we add some encryption algorithm or use some in some libraries?
>
> Currently the WIP patch uses openssl and supports only AES-256 and I
> don't have a plan to have such extensibility for now. But it might be
> a good idea in the future. I think it would be not hard to support
> symmetric encryption altgorithms supported by openssl but would you
> like to support other encryption algorithms?

Supporting other symmetric encryption algorithms would be nice but I
don't think that is required for the first version. It would also be
nice but not initially required to support different encryption
libraries. The implementation should be written with both of these
eventualities in mind though IMHO.

I would like to see strategically placed hooks in the key management so
that an extension could, for example, layer another key in between the
master key and the per-tablespace key. This would allow extensions to
provide additional control over when decryption is allowed.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com