Re: --sync-method isn't documented to take an argument

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: --sync-method isn't documented to take an argument
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> On 4 Oct 2023, at 16:51, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> To do that, we'd need some sort of agreement on what the possible
>> "class" values are and when to use each one.  I've never seen any
>> documentation about that.

> Thats fair.  The 4.5 docbook guide isn't terribly helpful on what the
> attributes mean and how they should be used:
>     https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/4.5/replaceable
> In the 5.2 version the text is slightly expanded but not by all that much:
>     https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/replaceable

OK, so now I know what the possible values of "class" are, but
I'm still not seeing a reason why we shouldn't just assume that
"parameter" is the only one of interest.  We don't really have
places where "command" or "function" would be appropriate AFAIR.
As for "option", what's the distinction between that and
"parameter"?  And why wouldn't I use "<option>" instead?

Even if we did have uses for the other class values, I'm skeptical
that we'd ever use them consistently enough that there'd be
value in rendering them differently.