Re: pg_restore

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_restore
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Infor Gates <info_gates@yahoo.com> writes:
> I am having the impression that pg_restore would over-rides the "old"
> data with the current one. Is my thinking wrong?

Yeah.  By default, pg_restore will issue a CREATE TABLE (which of course
fails if the table already exists) followed by COPY (which just tries to
insert data in addition to what might be there already).

There's a command line option to ask pg_restore to try to DROP TABLE
before doing the CREATE TABLE.  By and large, though, that's a bad way
to proceed unless you are specifically trying to merge two databases.
The fast and easy way to proceed is to DROP DATABASE, CREATE a fresh
empty database, and pg_restore into that.