Re: kqueue

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: kqueue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2016-09-13 14:47:08 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also I notice that the WaitEventSet thread started with a simple
>> pgbench test, so I don't really buy the claim that that's not a
>> way that will reach the problem.

> You can reach it, but not when using 1 core:one pgbench thread:one
> client connection, there need to be more connections than that. At least
> that was my observation on x86 / linux.

Well, that original test was

>> I tried to run pgbench -s 1000 -j 48 -c 48 -S -M prepared on 70 CPU-core
>> machine:

so no, not 1 client ;-)

Anyway, I decided to put my money where my mouth was and run my own
benchmark.  On my couple-year-old Macbook Pro running OS X 10.11.6,
using a straight build of today's HEAD, asserts disabled, fsync off
but no other parameters changed, I did "pgbench -i -s 100" and then
did this a few times:pgbench -T 60 -j 4 -c 4 -M prepared -S bench
(It's a 4-core CPU so I saw little point in pressing harder than
that.)  Median of 3 runs was 56028 TPS.  Repeating the runs with
kqueue-v5.patch applied, I got a median of 58975 TPS, or 5% better.
Run-to-run variation was only around 1% in each case.

So that's not a huge improvement, but it's clearly above the noise
floor, and this laptop is not what anyone would use for production
work eh?  Presumably you could show even better results on something
closer to server-grade hardware with more active clients.

So at this point I'm wondering why Thomas and Heikki could not measure
any win.  Based on my results it should be easy.  Is it possible that
OS X is better tuned for multi-CPU hardware than FreeBSD?