Re: Should clients warn in case of server version mismatch ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Should clients warn in case of server version mismatch ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah.rajesh@gmail.com> writes:
> We connected psql 8.2.0 accidently to postmaster ver 8.1.5.
> \d tablename does not work.
> should psql at least warn like pg_dump does in case
> of such client server version mismatches ?

Um, did you read the banner?

$ ~/version82/bin/psql -p 5581 regression
Welcome to psql 8.2.0 (server 8.1.5), the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

WARNING:  You are connected to a server with major version 8.1,
but your psql client is major version 8.2.  Some backslash commands,
such as \d, might not work properly.

regression=#