Re: Unicode database + JDBC driver performance

От Jan Ploski
Тема Re: Unicode database + JDBC driver performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:57:51PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Ploski <jpljpl@gmx.de> writes:
> > Is there some other way to find out what PGCLIENTENCODING is used
> > in each case?
>
> I think "show client_encoding" and "show server_encoding" would tell
> what you want (not sure how well JDBC cooperates with the SHOW command
> though).

Hello,

I could not get to this info via JDBC directly, but sniffing on port 5432
reveals the following output when the SHOW commands are run:

NOTICE:  Current server encoding is 'UNICODE'.
NOTICE:  Current client encoding is 'UNICODE'.

It seems correct to me, so the question about Unicode's slowness remains.
I guess that I will have a look at the driver's internals. Do you believe
that the backend should not be much slower [than LATIN1] when delivering
query results in the UNICODE encoding?

-JPL