Re: AW: Shouldn't this be an error?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: AW: Shouldn't this be an error?
Дата
Re: AW: Shouldn't this be an error?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas SB  <ZeugswetterA@wien.spardat.at> writes:
>> A compromise position would be to allow dropping trailing columns only
>> when the column name list is omitted.

> Sounds reasonable to me.

IIRC, there's some interaction between this behavior and the way that
INSERT ... DEFAULT VALUES is implemented; I think DEFAULT VALUES is
parsed as an empty values list and then the trailing-column-omission
code is what actually makes the right things happen.  So changing it
without breaking DEFAULT VALUES is not entirely trivial; it'll take
some changes in the raw-parsetree representation.  There are other
missing SQL features hereabouts also, such as being able to write
a DEFAULTed column explicitly:INSERT ... VALUES('foo', DEFAULT, 42);
and being able to insert multiple explicit rows:INSERT ... VALUES('foo', DEFAULT, 42), VALUES('bar', 99, 44);
I think we should deal with all of these issues at once, which means
it's not something to try to fix for 7.1.  Bruce, would you add a
TODO item?
 * Bring INSERT ... VALUES up to full SQL92 spec.