Re: [HACKERS] Re: protocol version negotiation (Re: Libpq PGRES_COPY_BOTH - version compatibility)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: protocol version negotiation (Re: Libpq PGRES_COPY_BOTH - version compatibility)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Badrul Chowdhury <bachow@microsoft.com> writes:
> 1. Pgwire protocol v3.0 with negotiation is called v3.1.
> 2. There are 2 patches for the change: a BE-specific patch that will be backported and a FE-specific patch that is
onlyfor pg10 and above.

TBH, anything that presupposes a backported change in the backend is
broken by definition.  We expect libpq to be able to connect to older
servers, and that has to include servers that didn't get this memo.

It would be all right for libpq to make a second connection attempt
if its first one fails, as we did in the 2.0 -> 3.0 change.