Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres connection
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> writes:
> Fernando Flores Prior <fprior@tlaloc.imta.mx> writes:
>> So,  it is safe then to use ODBC for an Internet connection ?
>> I'm in doubt about that, mainly because of the lag involved
>> on this kind of network and its transient failures that may
>> cause a disconnection.

> It's as safe as any other API--as I said, there's only one wire
> protocol used by all libraries.  Lag will just slow things down but
> should not cause any data loss.  If your connection drops too often
> due to packet loss there isn't much you can do about that at the PG
> level--get a better network connection.  :)

However, from a security standpoint I don't think there's any question
that you want to use SSL encryption for any database connection that
passes over the open Internet.  I seem to recall that the ODBC driver
(still) doesn't support SSL --- if so, that would be reason enough not
to use it.  Or to invest the effort to fix it.