Re: Help needed to set the Optimal Value for shared_buffers.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Help needed to set the Optimal Value for shared_buffers.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Kishore B <kishorebh@gmail.com> writes:
>   1)  I am new to administering postgresql. When I was wandering
> through the configuration files for the PostgreSQL, I observed the
> 'fsync' file. This file is almost identical to the postgresql.conf
> file, but with differing values for parameters and some new / deleted
> parameters when compared with the postgresql.conf file. What is the
> file for?  Does it have any specific importance to be taken care of?

There is no such file in any standard distribution of Postgres.  I guess
that some previous admin of your machine made it as a copy of one set of
config parameters that he was experimenting with.

>  2)  What is the optimall value for shared_buffers parameter to be set
> for a huge database that contains a table with upto '4GB' data.

Opinions vary, but I would say that 10000-50000 buffers is a reasonable
range to be working in.