Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
Дата
Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in  (Barry Lind <blind@xythos.com>)
Список pgsql-general

--On Thursday, December 19, 2002 12:22:18 -0500 Tom Lane
<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
>> --On Thursday, December 19, 2002 12:01:21 -0500 Bruce Momjian
>> <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Yes, this was really it --- we didn't realize how many apps used this.
>>> Also, we expected to hit them before final release, when we could have
>>> reverted the change.
>
>> IT DID!  (see my post during Beta).
>
>> You said, well, that's only one.
>
> It's still only two.  And I still haven't heard any cogent argument why
> we shouldn't regard these apps as broken --- regardless of how many
> there are.  I cannot see any rational reason for accepting '' as meaning
> zero in an integer field.  If someone were to present an example where
> this actually makes sense (and is not just evidence of very sloppy
> programming) I'd be more sympathetic ...
The issue isn't whether the app is broken or not, (it is), but the fact
that we
****CHANGED**** behavior with ****NO**** notice and no way to keep the app
working on
the current release without MAJOR changes to the app.  (some apps just have
it so ingrained
in them).

We ***SHOULD*** have noticed the user community, and had a transition plan.

This should be a lesson to us to be more sensitive to applications out
there, and
give NOTICE about compatibility issues.

[snip]

I understand your point, Tom, but this does not help PostgreSQL's
acceptability in the
marketplace.

LER

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: trouble caused by change in 7.3 handling of '' in
От: Bill Gribble
Сообщение: Re: Replacement for Oracle's "ROWNUM" in Postgres