Re: prob with PERL/Postgres

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: prob with PERL/Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Thomas Good <tomg@admin.nrnet.org> writes:
> Kate, he uses a diff module by the same author (Edmund Mergl) but with
> a very diff syntax.  The advantage of the DBI - Kris, if you're
> interested - is that the syntax is much like ESQL/C and the code is
> much more portable.  For example I use DBI to access both pg and
> oracle.

DBI is a good alternative, but is unlikely to act much differently as
far as connection problems go.

> use Pg;
> $dbhost='127.0.0.1';
> $dbname='mpact';
> #$connstr="dbname=$dbname";
> $connstr="host=$dbhost dbname=$dbname";
> $conn = Pg::connectdb($connstr);
>
> #more code related to date omitted
>
> $result=$conn->exec($sql);
> (PGRES_COMMAND_OK eq $result->resultStatus)
> or  die $conn->errorMessage;
>
> WHY DO I GET PQsendQuery() -- There is no connection to the
> backend.

It's hard to tell with only that much information.  I think the real
mistake in this code is not checking for failure of the connectdb()
call.  Had you checked at that point, you would have gotten a more
useful error message.  The examples in the Pg documentation recommend
$conn = Pg::connectdb(whatever);die $conn->errorMessage unless PGRES_CONNECTION_OK eq $conn->status;

Try that, and if you're still in the dark, let us see the error
message...
        regards, tom lane