Re: how to get a number of seconds in some interval ?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: how to get a number of seconds in some interval ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> So it seems that the arbitary assumption of (1 month=30 days, and 1 day = 24 hours) has already been made in the
extractfunction.

Right, as I said:

>> You can derive a number if you're willing to make arbitrary assumptions
>> about the relationships of the different units (as indeed extract(epoch)
>> does),

The point is that we don't want to propagate that bogus assumption
further than we have to.  EXTRACT() already implies loss of information,
so it's reasonable for it to deliver a simplified view of reality, but
it doesn't follow that division should.