Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard -- Statistics idea...  ("Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com>)
Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:
> I also do not believe that there is any value that will be the right
> answer.  But a table of data might be useful both for people who want to
> toy with altering the values and also for those who want to set the
> defaults.  I guess that at one time such a table was generated to
> produce the initial estimates for default values.

Sir, you credit us too much :-(.  The actual story is that the current
default of 10 was put in when we first implemented stats histograms,
replacing code that kept track of only a *single* most common value
(and not very well, at that).  So it was already a factor of 10 more
stats than we had experience with keeping, and accordingly conservatism
suggested not boosting the default much past that.

So we really don't have any methodically-gathered evidence about the
effects of different stats settings.  It wouldn't take a lot to convince
us to switch to a different default, I think, but it would be nice to
have more than none.