Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Дата
Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> At the risk of opening another can of worms, what about renaming
> max_worker_processes as well?  It would be a good thing if that
> had "cluster" in it somewhere, or something that indicates it's a
> system-wide value not a per-session value.  "max_workers_per_cluster"
> would answer, though I'm not in love with it particularly.

Actually, after a bit more thought, maybe "max_background_workers" would
be a good name?  That matches its existing documentation more closely:
        Sets the maximum number of background processes that the system        can support.  This parameter can only be
setat server start.  The        default is 8.

However, that would still leave us with max_background_workers as the
cluster-wide limit and max_parallel_workers as the per-query-node limit.
That naming isn't doing all that much to clarify the distinction.