Re: CVS stability

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: CVS stability
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> writes:
> I've been noticing some very useful things that are probably already in
> CVS (return_next in pl/perl, IN/OUT parameters, and probably others).
> I don't have a "mission critical" production environment and was
> wondering how unstable a typical 8.1 CVS checkout is?  I'm not talking
> about feature-freeze, but more about uptime and compilation.

CVS tip is seldom actively broken; the main downside you have to be
prepared for is that a snapshot will not be forwards or backwards
initdb-compatible.  As long as you are prepared for a full dump/restore
any time you want to update, you can certainly use it for development
work.

You might consider grabbing one of the nightly snapshot tarballs instead
of pulling directly from CVS --- less setup overhead that way (in
particular you don't need any tools you wouldn't need for a regular
source build).