Re: [GENERAL] Help with terminology to describe what my software does please?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Help with terminology to describe what my software does please?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Neil Anderson <neil@postgrescompare.com> writes:
> I guess I don't know what is the most common way to say that it
> compares everything but the data. Any suggestions from your
> experience?

FWIW, I think it's pretty common to use "schema" in an abstract way
to mean "the structure of your database", ie everything but the data.
(It's unfortunate that the SQL standard commandeered the word to
mean a database namespace; but it's not like there are no other words
with more than one meaning.)

So I don't see any big problem with calling your tool a schema comparator.
You could maybe make your docs a bit clearer if you consistently refer
to the namespace objects as "SQL schemas", reserving the generic term
for the generic meaning.