Re: Bug #10432 failed to re-find parent key in index

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Bug #10432 failed to re-find parent key in index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> Perhaps we could consider it after a year or two, once 9.4 is indeed
>>> very stable, but at that point you have to wonder if it's really worth
>>> the trouble anymore. If someone has runs into that issue frequently, he
>>> probably should just upgrade to 9.4.

>> Ouch. That is a really poor way to look at this.

> I don't agree.  When a bug fix is really invasive, there is a
> considerable risk that it will itself have bugs.  We've got to balance
> the risk of fixing things for users who are currently having problems
> with the risk of creating problems for people who currently aren't
> having any.

It should also be noted that there is very little reason to assume that
whatever issue JD saw on his 9.1.15 system would have been prevented by
Heikki's changes.  We've seen many instances of "failed to re-find parent
key" errors over the years, with widely varying root causes (when we were
able to find the root cause).

Personally I'm fine with Heikki's opinion that the costs/risks of
backporting outweigh the likely benefits.  I'm certainly on board with
the idea that we wouldn't do it for another year or so ... by which
time 9.1 will be out of support or nearly so.