Re: [NOVICE] Hardware needed for 15,000,000 record DB?

От Mathieu Arnold
Тема Re: [NOVICE] Hardware needed for 15,000,000 record DB?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

--On lundi 22 avril 2002 03:41 -0400 pdg@stratos.net wrote:

> Hello,
>

>> well, I have a server with a database over 7GB, and :
>>
>> backup=> select count(*) from file;
>>   count
>> ----------
>>  19430605
>> (1 row)
>>
>> backup=> explain analyze select * from file where id_file = 29000000;
>> NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:
>>
>> Index Scan using file_pkey on file  (cost=0.00..3.18 rows=1 width=117)
>> (actual time=0.60..0.61 rows=1 loops=1)
>> Total runtime: 0.77 msec
>>
>> and it's an old poor :
>> hda: IBM-DTLA-307030, ATA DISK drive
>>
>> ps: the select count(*) took a long time, but I believe that was because
>> there was a batch running and feeding the db :)
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> Though, as a newbie, I am not quite sure what all the above performance
> numbers actually mean.  :)
>
> What sort of CPU/Memory configuration are you running this server on?

well, it means that I got an entry from my database (which have 19,430,605
entries) in 0.77 msec using the primary key.
the server is a pIII 600 with 256M of ram, but there is a lot of other
things running on.
The main things about database is the hard drive speed, with the turtle
I've got in this server, it is *slow*, just get a scsi3 hard drive and
it'll run like smoothly, the second thing, is the memory/cpu speed, but it
really only gets useful if you have very complex queries.

--
Mathieu Arnold