Re: descriptions of pg_stat_user_functions and pg_stat_slru

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: descriptions of pg_stat_user_functions and pg_stat_slru
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
> In monitoring.sgml, there are the tables and corresponding descriptions
> for pg_stat_user_functions and pg_stat_slru views. I found that those
> descriptions are located in opposite places. For example, the description
> for pg_stat_user_functions wrongly comes just after the table for
> pg_stat_slru view. Attached patch fixes this issue.

Hm, I see your point, but I think there is a bigger problem here:
this entire section was written with great disregard for our normal
conventions of how to lay out text around tables.  The standard thing,
as seen in Chapter 9 or the system catalog section, is that first
you have an introductory paragraph --- preferably containing an actual
link to the table --- then you have the table, and then if you feel a
need for any footnote-like comments on the table, you put those below it.

I seem to recall Peter E. explaining that this is important because some
presentations might put the table out-of-line entirely, so you should
have an <xref> to it.

What we've mostly got in 27.2 as it stands is that the explanations are
below the tables, which is just backwards.  I think the discrepancy
you spotted is because I added some text about the pg_stat_slru view
and just automatically added it above the table, not noticing that that
wasn't what the surrounding stuff did.