Re: invalid multibyte character for locale

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: invalid multibyte character for locale
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Bjoern Metzdorf <bm@turtle-entertainment.de> writes:
> CREATE INDEX foobar_uvalue_key ON foobar USING btree
> (upper((value)::text));
> ERROR:  invalid multibyte character for locale
> HINT:  The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
> database encoding.

> I forgot to say that I am using UNICODE for database encoding (initdb -E
> UNICODE and createdb -E UNICODE).

Well, in that case your encoding is indeed at variance with your locale
setting ;-).  Perhaps you should declare the encoding as SQL_ASCII.

The immediate problem is that mbstowcs() is being called and it
evidently doesn't know what to do in C locale.  SQL_ASCII (or any
single-byte encoding) would bypass this code path and avoid the
error.