Re: Clearing rows periodically

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Clearing rows periodically
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
 Re: Sanity check requested  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
  Re: Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
   Re: Sanity check requested  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
     Re: Sanity check requested  (Joe Conway, )
   Re: Sanity check requested  ("Shridhar Daithankar", )
    Clearing rows periodically  (Martin Foster, )
     Re: Clearing rows periodically  (Paul Thomas, )
     Re: Clearing rows periodically  (Andrew Sullivan, )
     Re: Clearing rows periodically  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Sanity check requested  (Ang Chin Han, )
     File systems (RE: Sanity check requested)  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
      Re: File systems (RE: Sanity check requested)  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Sanity check requested  ("scott.marlowe", )
   Re: Sanity check requested  (Vincent van Leeuwen, )
    Re: Sanity check requested  ("Nick Fankhauser", )
     Re: Sanity check requested  (Josh Berkus, )
     Re: Sanity check requested  (Rod Taylor, )
 Re: Sanity check requested  ("Oliver Scheit", )

Martin Foster <> writes:
> My question is, should the purging of rows be done more often then once
> a day for both tables.   Is this why performance seems to take a hit
> specifically?

Given that the hourly purge seems to work well for you, I'd suggest
trying it on both tables.

Non-FULL vacuum is intended to be run *frequently*, say as often as
you've updated or deleted 10% to 50% of the rows in a table.  Delaying
it until you've had multiple complete turnovers of the table contents
will cost you.

> As there were too many rows purged for vacuum to
> accurately keep track of?

Only possible if you don't have the FSM parameters set high enough.
Infrequent vacuuming means you need more FSM space, btw.