Re: [HACKERS] Multibyte in autoconf

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Multibyte in autoconf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I agree. Considering the fact that in a fairly normal environment you only
>> initdb once and you only configure once, would it be too far-fetched to
>> propose moving this sort of decision completely into initdb, that is, make
>> the --pgencoding mandatory if you do want some encoding? Because I'm also
>> not completely sure how you would initdb a database without any encoding
>> whatsoever if you have your initdb set to always use some default.

> I think I see your point. Giving a default-default encoding to initdb
> is not a good idea, right?  If so, it comes sounding reasonable to me
> too.

OK, so the proposal is

configure: --enable-mbEnables compilation of MULTIBYTE code, does not select a default

initdb: --pgencoding=FOOEstablishes coding of database; it's an error to specify non-default encoding if MULTIBYTE
wasn'tcompiled.If no --pgencoding, you get default (non-multibyte) coding evenif you compiled with --enable-mb.

Seems reasonable and flexible to me.