Re: [HACKERS] Multibyte in autoconf

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Multibyte in autoconf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Have you ever read doc/README.mb?
>
> Yes, and although it is nice, it didn't make this particular part easier
> to figure out. I mean, if I configure the compilation of a program with
> --with-something=foo, then I assume it actually uses "foo" somehow. And
> then I see my compilation actually full of -DMULTIBYTE=XXX lines,
> confusing me further.

I must admit that I'm not good at English and writing:-)

> Btw., why is this not in the main documentation?

Ok, I will do it for 7.0. Please give me some idea to enhance
README.mb (you already gave one) if you have any.

> > Anyway, I don't like the idea to have an yet another environment
> > variable to give a default encoding to initdb when -e or -pgencoding
> > is not specified. We alread    y have enough. Changing --with-mb to --
>
> I agree. Considering the fact that in a fairly normal environment you only
> initdb once and you only configure once, would it be too far-fetched to
> propose moving this sort of decision completely into initdb, that is, make
> the --pgencoding mandatory if you do want some encoding? Because I'm also
> not completely sure how you would initdb a database without any encoding
> whatsoever if you have your initdb set to always use some default.

I think I see your point. Giving a default-default encoding to initdb
is not a good idea, right?  If so, it comes sounding reasonable to me
too.
--
Tatsuo Ishii