Re: PostgreSQL 10.5 : Strange pg_wal fill-up, solved with the shutdown checkpoint

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 10.5 : Strange pg_wal fill-up, solved with the shutdown checkpoint
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 10.5 : Strange pg_wal fill-up, solved with theshutdown checkpoint  (Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> Remember : postgresql checkpointer decided to remove 5000+ files before shutdown. If any conditions were keeping
thosefiles afloat should also hold at this point, right.
> The question is why didn't Postgresql removed them earlier.

WAL files get removed/recycled after completion of a checkpoint.  So
apparently, checkpoints were not finishing during normal operation,
but the shutdown checkpoint managed to terminate normally.  That
eliminates a lot of the usual theories about why checkpoints might
not be succeeding (like a dirty buffer that always fails to be
written, say as a result of broken permissions on its file).

The only theory that comes to mind is that the checkpointer process
was stuck somehow, but just "soft" stuck, in a way that allowed the
postmaster's time-to-shut-down-please signal to unstick it.  No,
I have no idea how that could happen exactly.  If it happens again,
it'd be really interesting to attach to the checkpointer with a
debugger and collect a stack trace.

От: Achilleas Mantzios
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 10.5 : Strange pg_wal fill-up, solved with theshutdown checkpoint
От: Mark Steben
Сообщение: Another streaming replication question