Re: context switch storm in 8.1.4 on Xeon XP

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: context switch storm in 8.1.4 on Xeon XP
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Corey Horton <Corey_Horton@messageone.com> writes:
> Running 8.1.4 on Xeon MP server running CenOS and we encountered what
> appears to be the context switch storm issue that I have seen described
> in 7.4 and perhaps is the same one mentioned here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/weeklynews/pwn20060903.html.  Has
> this been addressed, and if so, in what version?

The patch mentioned there is in 8.2 and up.  There are various other
patches that have gone in at different times to try to address other
contention issues.  With so little data as this it's hard to tell
exactly what problem you hit.  So, if you're going to consider a
major-version migration in hopes of solving a performance problem of
this kind, it'd likely be a good idea to go to 8.3.x instead of 8.2.x.