deadlock in trigger before insert

От Piotr Buczek
Тема deadlock in trigger before insert
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi list,

I need to check some complex unique constraint before insert/update to table
X so I use a before trigger to do this. If I don't use any explicit lock I
get a race condition if two inserts happen very quickly because an insert
changes the result of the condition that is checked in the trigger. So I add
a LOCK TABLE X (exclusive mode) in the first line of the trigger which leads
to a deadlock because a shared lock is obtained for insert automatically by
PostgreSQL before the trigger code executes. So we have 2 processes - one
for each insert operation, and here is what happens (as far as I understand
it):

1. each process obtains this shared lock for X table,
2. the first process that reaches the code in trigger can't obtain the
exclusive lock for X because the table is already blocked by the second
process, so the first process waits for the lock,
3. the second process reaches the lock in trigger and a deadlock is detected
by PostgreSQL and this process releases the shared lock on Samples and
fails,
4. the first process continues because the second process released its lock.

As a result one process (the first one) succeeds but first we get a deadlock
exception which I would have to handle in the application somehow but this
isn't that simple to do.

The simplest solution to prevent the deadlock would be to acquire an
exclusive lock instead of a shared one before the trigger executes but there
doesn't seem to be a way to do this in PostgreSQL, does it? I don't want to
solve the problem in the application but on the DB level.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Peter