Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)
Дата
Ответ на Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Ответы Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> A less bizarre and considerably more future-proof restriction,
>> IMO, would simply refuse any attempt to give ownership of a C
>> function to a non-superuser.
> We have C replication trigger functions where this would be a bad
> thing.  They can't work properly as SECURITY INVOKER, and I see it
> as a big step backwards in security to make the only other option
> SECURITY DEFINER with a superuser as the owner.

Could you provide more details about that?  If nothing else, this
could be handled with a non-C wrapper function, but I'm not clear
on the generality of the use-case.

> It's not too hard
> to come up with other use cases where you want to grant one class of
> users rights to do something only through a certain function, not
> directly.

Generally I'd imagine that that has something to do with permission
to call the function, not with who owns it.

Basically, if we go down the road Noah is proposing, I foresee a steady
stream of security bugs and ensuing random restrictions on what function
owners can do.  I do not like that future.