Re: Server Crash

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Server Crash
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks.  Just wondering, what's the difference in behavior from
> pgsql's perspective from sigquit and siqkill?  Is sigkill more
> dangerous than sigquit?

Yes it is, because sigkill can't be trapped --- it causes instant
process death with no chance to clean up.  Not that we have backends
do a lot of cleanup after sigquit either, but at least the option
exists.  The real difference is in the postmaster: kill -9 on the
postmaster is a seriously bad idea, because it gets no chance to shut
down its children.