Re: Add necessary package list to ldap TAP's README

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add necessary package list to ldap TAP's README
Дата
Re: Add necessary package list to ldap TAP's README  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 10:34:25AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> The kerberos test suite mentions the package list to use on a set of
>> distributions, which is very useful.  However we don't do the same for
>> ldap.  Something like the attached would be adapted then to help setting
>> up a test environment?
>>
>> I have at hand only a Debian installation, and I have just guessed the
>> RHEL and FreeBSD dependencies.

> Patch applied to head, thanks.

I was a bit disturbed that you'd push information that was "just guessed",
so I went and tried to run the ldap tests on a couple different platforms.

Fedora 28: you need openldap and openldap-devel to build with --with-ldap
at all.  Then in addition openldap-clients and openldap-servers to run
this test.  The path selections in the script work.

FreeBSD 12: you need openldap-client (NOT openldap24-client) to build
with --with-ldap at all.  Then also openldap-server to run this test.

I'm not sure whether it's worth making a clear distinction between
build-time and test-time dependencies, but if we're going to list
build-time dependencies here at all, we probably ought to be complete
about it.  (It's been well established that not everybody who builds
PG knows about the need to install -devel/-dev subpackages.)

On a somewhat related subject ... I notice that the paths for darwin in
the test script seem to presume that the LDAP support has been installed
from MacPorts or some such, but this isn't documented anywhere (least of
all in this README file).  I tried to get it to work with the
Apple-provided LDAP server and libraries, but no go --- Apple's apparently
done something weird to their copy of slapd, such that it doesn't work
when launched manually like this.  So the expectation of non-default LDAP
support is probably reasonable, but I'm disturbed by the lack of docs.