Re: Schema synchronization

От John DeSoi
Тема Re: Schema synchronization
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Apr 19, 2006, at 2:26 PM, Arnau wrote:

>   I have several databases that I have to synchronize their
> schemas. I have been testing several programs like EMS PostgreSQL
> Comparer and Navicat PostgreSQL but none of them does all I need.
> Any advise about what is the best way to sync the schemas?

I think the best way is to do proper version control on files. After
initial version 1, create version 2 as a series of create table,
alter table, etc, statements to convert version 1 to version 2 and so
on. Changing databases independently with your favorite admin tool
and then trying to sync them up based on schema differences is
difficult. For example, I don't think there is a way for a comparison
program to know the difference between renaming a column and dropping
a column with the addition a new one of the same type. The semantics
of these two operations are very different.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL