Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode
Дата
Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Hmm, what happens when the startup process performs a write, and
>> bgwriter is not running? Do the fsync requests queue up in the shmem
>> queue until the end of recovery when bgwriter is launched? I guess I'll
>> have to try it out...

> Oh dear, doesn't look good. The startup process has a pendingOpsTable of
> its own. bgwriter won't fsync() files that the startup process has
> written itself. That needs to be fixed, or you can lose data when an
> archive recovery crashes after a restartpoint.

Ouch.  I'm beginning to think that the best thing is to temporarily
revert the change that made bgwriter active during recovery.  It's
obviously not been adequately thought through or tested.