Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path
Дата
Re: More extension issues: ownership and search_path  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> ... So where I think we're going to end up
> is adding a clause along the line of "USING list-of-extension-names"
> to CREATE EXTENSION, storing those dependencies explicitly, and having
> the CREATE EXTENSION code set search_path to the target schema followed
> by the target schema(s) of the USING extensions.

On reflection, the set of extensions that an extension depends on is
obviously a property of the extension, which means it ought to be
specified in the extension's control file, not in the CREATE EXTENSION
command.  So now I'm thinking something like
requires = 'foo, bar, baz'

in the file.  We could even imagine autoloading such dependencies if
they're not already installed, but that's a frammish for later.  (One
objection to autoloading is it's not clear which schema to drop the
other extensions into.)