Re: range value problem with double precision [PG 8.3.3]

От Zahid Khan
Тема Re: range value problem with double precision [PG 8.3.3]
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
hmmm,What I see is, I was getting error=A0 of underflow valuein PG8.2=A0 wh=
en i tried to insert '1E-307' in table with double precision.And my applica=
tion was expecting the same error condition with the same values=A0 against=
 PG 8.3.3 as well.but now thats not the case?

Thanks,
Zahid K.

--- On Fri, 8/22/08, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] range value problem with double precision [PG 8.3.3]
To: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org, khanzahid235@yahoo.com
Date: Friday, August 22, 2008, 5:43 AM

Zahid Khan wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> =A0I see one issue pg 8.3.3 .
>
> 1.
> According to the documentation of pg "The double precision type
> typically has a range of around 1E-307 to 1E+308 with a precision of at
> least 15 digits".
>
> ref:-
> =A0http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-numeric.html
>
> but in PG8.3 the values less then minimum range are being inserted.
>
> e.g
> . on insertion of 1E-308 we should get an error of "out of range or
> underflow value" but this value is being accepted by server.

The operating words are "typically" and "around".  You can
put in smaller and=20
larger values, but then the precision is going to degrade, as you can obser=
ve=20
here:

peter=3D# select '1E-305'::float8;
 float8
--------
 1e-305
(1 row)

peter=3D# select '1E-310'::float8;
        float8
-----------------------
 9.99999999999997e-311
(1 row)

peter=3D# select '1E-315'::float8;
        float8
-----------------------
 9.99999998481684e-316
(1 row)

peter=3D# select '1E-320'::float8;
        float8
-----------------------
 9.99988867182683e-321
(1 row)

peter=3D# select '1E-325'::float8;
ERROR:  22003: "1E-325" is out of range for type double precision
LOCATION:  float8in, float.c:426

The following, however, appears to be a bug:

peter=3D# select '1E-324'::float8;
ERROR:  22P02: invalid input syntax for type double precision:
"1E-324"
LOCATION:  float8in, float.c:431

=20=20=20=20=20=20=