Re: restore whoes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: restore whoes
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> I was thinking of throwing a specific error when copy fails _and_ when
> the line ends with a \r, rather than a generic COPY failure message ---
> not sure how to do that, though.

Doesn't seem practical, as the actual error may not occur till much
later, far away from the COPY code itself.

> I don't think I like the carriage-return -> \r solution anymore because
> that would require people creating COPY files by hand, which I am sure
> many do, to also escape carriage returns, which seems too MS-ish for me.

We have to change *something*, Bruce, because as things stand it's
completely ambiguous whether a \r is a legitimate data character or
something introduced by a newline conversion.  If you insist on 100%
backwards compatibility then we'll be fighting this problem forever.
(Or at least till Windows dies ... yeah right.)

Please note also that \ r (two characters) is *already* accepted as
meaning a carriage return.  Ditto \ 0 1 5.  So it's quite possible
that applications generating COPY data may be using one of these
representations and not be affected in the slightest.