Re: fix tablespace handling in pg_combinebackup

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: fix tablespace handling in pg_combinebackup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 2:44 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> This patch failed to survive contact with the buildfarm.  It looks
>> like the animals that are unhappy are choking like this:
>> pg_basebackup: error: backup failed: ERROR:  symbolic link target too long for tar format: file name
"pg_tblspc/16415",target
"/home/bf/bf-build/olingo/HEAD/pgsql.build/testrun/pg_combinebackup/002_compare_backups/data/tmp_test_bV72/ts"

> Ah, crap. That sucks. As far as I've been able to find, we have no
> code in the tree that knows how to generate symlinks longer than 99
> characters (see tarCreateHeader). I can search around and see if I can
> find something else out there on the Internet.

wikipedia has some useful info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_(computing)#POSIX.1-2001/pax

However, post-feature-freeze is not the time to be messing with
implementing pax.  Should we revert handling of tablespaces in this
program for now?

> But I think in 010_pg_basebackup.pl we actually work harder to avoid
> the problem than I had realized:
> Maybe I need to clone that workaround here.

That would be a reasonable answer if we deem the problem to be
just "the buildfarm is unhappy".  What I'm wondering about is
whether the feature will be useful to end users with this
pathname length restriction.