Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding UTF8: 0x00

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding UTF8: 0x00
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Tue, 2024-01-09 at 17:48 +0530, Kiran K V wrote:
>> I have a table with bytea column and trying to load the data using copy command.
>> But Copy command is failing with
>> "ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding UTF8: 0x00.
>> Why postgresql is failing to load when data contains 0x00.
>> How to resolve this error ? any workaround to load the data with 0x00 values ?

> This is not about loading data into a "bytea", but into a "text", "varchar" or
> "char" column.  Check again.

I am guessing that the OP tried to put a literal NUL character
into the COPY data.  A bytea value in COPY data needs to be
text-encoded as per one of the alternatives explained in the
manual.  Alternatively, you could jump through the hoops involved
in sending binary COPY data.